Thursday 25 September 2014

Single-hearted Swing

New discovery. Being married has indeed changed my experience of dance class. For one thing I could see the men for who they were as opposed to who they might be in relation to me (e.g. too this, too that). And I did not take it personally that there were about 17 of them to about 29 of us women. (That is always how it is in a beginner's social dance class, as I recall from the last time I took swing dance class.)

Meanwhile, Big Band is the only social dance music I can take in big doses, so I enjoyed hearing it, and the instructors were fantastic dancers, so I enjoyed watching them. And I did not resent being pushed and pulled around the room by awkward young men because this time I felt only deep compassion and a sincere wish to put them at ease.  That probably is the follower's "job," come to think of it: to make things as easy and pleasant for the leader as possible. 

To inspire us all, here's an old clip of my pal Alisha Ruiss dancing at a swing championship 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is Edinburgh Housewife, a blog for Catholic women and other women of good will. It assumes that the average reader is an unmarried, childless Catholic woman over 18. Commenters are asked to take that into consideration before commenting. Anonymous comments may be erased.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.